Monday, July 23, 2012

Jambo Yall!

Jambo yall! I am home from Kenya, unfortunately. I can honestly say I'd much rather be in Kenya than back here in the states. God did a number on my heart while in Kenya and I'd like to share my trip with you and the things God showed me....
Chumba



I'm not sure where to start, but I think the best way to start it is, I am answering God's plan. I have been called to missions since I was 10 years old, and Africa has always been on my heart. I have been to South America twice and I thought that was the plan, but then God opened up a door to Africa, specifically Kenya.

The moment I signed up for the trip, money started pouring in and my entire trip was paid for in a matter of months. Nothing came out of pocket for this trip. (I knew that was a gift from God). To top it off it was to work with children (i love children)!! I was so excited and was ready to go months before the trip....


I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him. -1 Samuel 1:27 






Thursday/Friday: We left DFW to head to Kenya..... approximately 19 hours in a plane... 6 hours of layovers...disgusting plane food.... throwing up on a plane......but eventually arriving in the beautiful country of Kenya. Once I stepped foot in Kenya, I knew I was right in the midst of God's plane for my life.


Saturday: We woke up from about a four hour sleep and missed our plane to Eldoret. Luckily the team from Artesia New Mexico made theirs. We had to wait three hours before loading buses to head to Kitale (8 hours in a bus).... that wouldn't be so bad, if the roads weren't so terrible. By the end I was so car sick, but knew it would be worth it... I went to bed early that night, but was so pumped about church the next morning. We stayed in Karibuni Lodge. It was beautiful and Theresa was such an amazing hostess.

Sunday: My favorite day by far!!! We drove to Mattaw and as soon as we got there we were greeted by the children. They sang to us and welcomed us with a parade. We walked into church and let me just tell you folks..... we are doing church wrong. We sang a couple songs, like we'd do in America, then Baba Bud told us to move the chairs.... I was like WHAT!? So the chairs were moved and the drums were brought out and we danced for about a hour and a half. Then Kim and Bud preached and one of the house dads.... all together church lasted about 2 and a half hours, but you wouldn't have known it. I cried from the moment I walked in till I walked out. Spirit (God, but the Kenyans say Spirit) was there and working BIG time. I remember being so in awe of the children and their love for the Lord. At one point they prayed, and during this prayer I almost had to sit down because of the amount of emotions running through my body. 67 children, 8 house parents, numerous volunteers and staff were all praying out loud in Swahili and English........ DANG! That's whats up! From a distance I saw the little girl I had been praying for, for a month. She was being held by a guy from New Mexico... I went and asked if I could hold her, I felt bad because I didn't give her up much the rest of my time there..... but the moment she was in my arms,  I felt God assure me that she was going to be okay in this life. Here are some pictures from Sunday.

Meet Noah


church


Bud preaching

choir

Kimberly preaching

House Dad Preaching


Baby Blessing


Blessing




Silly girl

House three family

Chumba and Claire
Monday: We spent the whole day at Mattaw. I got to spend some quality time with Mama Grace, who poured words of wisdom in my life. We just loved on the kids all day... It was very relaxed and we had a blast. I think it was on Monday when God started stirring my heart....





how they sweep

mopping

my best friend....Emmanuel

getting my hair braided!

Our Mattaw Family

Abbey, the house three girls, and myself

our babies


Tuesday: Was probably the hardest day...... We went to a Rescue Center and it broke my heart. We walked in to see children without pants, holes in their clothes, malnourished, and scared. I believe these children needed the love the most. Once they got attached to someone they didn't let go. My fingers hurt from how tight they grabbed on. At one point, I had to walk away because I could no longer hold my tears in.... Caleb asked me if I was awesome, and I thought..yeah I am awesome, because God is showing me where he needs me. I remember just loving those babies so tight... Leaving was so hard because you had to pry their little hands off your neck and it broke my heart. Please pray for them.... they come to the rescue center straight off the street. Some will go back to their homes, others will stay there, and some will be placed in an orphanage. We went back to the orphanage after the rescue center to do VBS with the kiddos!






The girls showers

The toilet




Can last a family of 3 for one month




Foot eaten by jiggers.

Jiggers are a flea that buries into a foot and lays eggs . They have to be cut out of the foot and then the foot has to be placed in a cleaning liquid. 

Caleb trying to figure out what children had more than one sucker! haha



This is Kevin who desperately longs to go to school, but secondary school in Kenya isn't free, and there is no money for him to go.... A few men on our team are trying to get him to secondary school.

















My awesome helpers! Daniel and David. They helped translate for the smaller kids!


Wednesday: We went to a primary school of 600 kids. It was a bit overwhelming. I got asked to lead worship and teach them some songs. They were quick learners but my throat was not too happy with me. We had a blast though! Then we went back to Mattaw to do VBS with the children.








Grades one and two

Future teacher at a Kenyan school!! SO COOL!
leading worship 

Wednesday was also one of the saddest days of my life......I had to tell those sweet babies good bye. It was my biggest nightmare. I cried like a baby, but so grateful I had a chance to meet those sweet babies and amazing adults! 
This is Mama Grace.  A lady who impacted my life so big! She helped me realize God's plan. She spoke words of wisdom and knew I needed to be slapped a couple of times with words of wisdom. She is an amazing woman! 
House three kids

boys room

girls room


Thursday/Friday/Saturday: Were fun days where we went on Safari and headed home... Check the Facebook for pictures there....

To sum up my week in Kenya in one word is OBEDIENT. I have to be obedient to God's call in my life. I know he is calling me back there. He wants me to serve him and the children of Kenya. I am praying for more clarity but as of right now, I know that I will most likely be spending next summer there. It is a scary thought to collect the funds and find a place to live for 3 months in Kenya, but I know that if it is God's will then God will equip me. God equips the called. My heart longs to be back in Kenya so bad. It longs to hold baby Blessing and to play with baby Chumba! My heart longs to sing with the children and to visit with Mama Grace. Thank you to anyone and everyone who sent me to Kenya! You are a huge part of what God is doing there!! Here are some pictures of the children. Thank you for reading this! Love to all!











 Here are some random pictures from the trip! Enjoy!
Caleb getting the car ready




My bed for the week! I want a mosquito net!


on the streets in Kitale!! :D


streets of Kitale




At the equator

the girls!

Girls and David on Safari

On Safari

SIMBA!

Baboons!

My friend David!

On the Safari!

Coolest car in Kenya! I didn't drive it! Just a picture!





No comments:

Post a Comment